Artificial Intelligence Test and Evaluation Scientist-22476
Would you like to help create solutions for the nation’s national security challenges?
Are you searching for engaging work with an employer that prioritizes innovation and personal development?
Our team is looking to provide our country with ground-breaking capabilities in machine perception and reasoning. To succeed, we need talented engineers, scientists, and developers. We are looking for individuals with curiosity and a strong drive for learning! The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC. This requisition is a permanent off-site position for the Department of Defense and located at the Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia.
The Tactical Intelligence Systems Group of the Asymmetric Operations Sector is looking for a research scientist to lead the Office of the Secretary of Defense, Intelligence (OUSD(I)) to lead test and evaluation for the organization, applying critical solutions for challenges in data science and artificial intelligence. This may involve:
- Surveying academic research to engineer practical solutions to challenges in computer vision, sensor fusion, cognitive systems, and predictive analysis
- Understand large data sets and using statistical analyses, reliability analyses, modeling and simulation to develop state of the art metrics for Artificial Intelligence systems.
- Collaborating with Laboratory, for-profit contractor and sponsor teams to address critical sponsor needs
- Effectively communicating results with non-expert audiences and generating innovative ideas to benefit the country
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
1. (35%) Apply knowledge in quantitative analysis, machine learning, statistical modeling, and software development to data analysis problems for our sponsors.
2. (35%) Work independently and on teams to engineer automated testing solutions. Experience in leading large scale DoD Test and Evaluation events
3. (20%) Explore promising research and maintain/gain the technical edge required for projects. Share and develop new approaches and methods.
4. (10%) Collaborate to document and support software analytics, and clearly present status and results to internal and external stakeholders.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
PhD in Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, or related technical field. Some programming experience. Demonstrated expertise in at least one of the following areas: computer vision, trust in autonomous systems, natural language processing and translation, knowledge representation and reasoning with evidence. The desire to quickly learn, research, and develop in many of those areas! Basic knowledge of statistics and probability.
Two-plus years of relevant Test & Evaluation experience. Understanding of common machine learning algorithms and methods used to parse and analyze data. Ability to rapidly prototype. Expertise with programming languages such as C#, C++, and Python. Experience with team-based development of software products and demonstrated ability to lead development/research projects. Experience with machine learning libraries such as Caffe, Tensorflow, MXNet, CNTK, and scikit-learn. Familiarity with modern databases and parallel computation also desired. Active or current Department of Defense Top Secret/SCI security clearance.
Special Working Conditions:
Some limited travel (up to 10%) to customer sites may be required. Occasional weekend and other after-hours work required to handle and/or complete critical project/work-related business needs.
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.