School of Medicine Assessment and Evaluation Specialist
- Johns Hopkins University
- Location: Baltimore, Maryland
- Category: Admin-Assessment, Accreditation, and Compliance
- Posting Date: 01/22/2022
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
We are seeking a School of Medicine (SOM) Assessment and Evaluation Specialist who will be part of the Office of Assessment and Evaluation (OAE).
The OAE’s mission is to enhance the educational programs in the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine through evidence-based best practices in the assessment of learners and the evaluation of programs. OAE partners with JHUSOM faculty and staff members, administrators, and learners to design, launch, and maintain assessment and evaluation initiatives in graduate biomedical education, postdoctoral education, undergraduate medical education, graduate medical education, and continuing medical education. OAE also supports educational activities initiated by the Simulation Center, the Institute for Excellence in Education, the Office of Student Affairs, the Office of Faculty Development, and the Professional Development and Career Office.
As part of its core mission, OAE:
- Supports the assessment of learners and the evaluation of programs through the selection, design, vetting, and implementation of assessment and evaluation tools (e.g., rubric design, multiple-choice question exam development, survey design, interview guide development)
- Facilitates understanding of the assessment of learners and the evaluation of programs through the analysis, reporting, and use of related data (e.g., statistical analysis of quantitative data, thematic content analysis of qualitative data)
- Conducts faculty development activities in areas related to learner assessment and program evaluation (e.g., validity, reliability, exam blueprints, standard setting, test and item analysis)
As a secondary aim, OAE also provides consultation in research design, statistical analysis and interpretation, and manuscript preparation intended for scholarly reports in medical and biomedical education, as projects relate to assessment and evaluation initiatives at JHUSOM.
With the director and the OAE team, the SOM Assessment and Evaluation Specialist will support a vision for, and implementation of, assessment and program evaluation for JHUSOM medical and biomedical education, and the initiatives that support educational excellence, such as the Institute for Excellence in Education, the Office of Student Diversity, and the Office of Professional and Career Development.
The position reports to the Director of the Office of Assessment and Evaluation and works closely with the OAE team and other stakeholders, including faculty and staff from throughout JHUSOM.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Specific responsibilities of the Assessment & Evaluation Specialist include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist OAE Director by implementing strategic initiatives related to assessment and program evaluation plans
- Manage development, implementation, and use of assessment and evaluation instruments and data collection
- Collect, manage, and analyze data for all JHUSOM educational programs
- Utilize program evaluation models including Logic Models to build strategic evaluation plans
- Support course revisions and curriculum planning from evidence-based program evaluation results
- Advise faculty members, staff members, and learners in best practices related to assessment and evaluation
- Support Precision Education Data Governance Specialist and analysts on collection, management, and access of assessment and program evaluation data stored in a data lake
- Assist the Director of OAE and other OAE team members, as appropriate, in facilitating assessment and evaluation-related activities with faculty members, staff members, and learners (e.g., quantitative and qualitative data analysis, evaluation planning, survey design, focus group moderation)
- Provide support to faculty members, staff members, and learners for medical and biomedical education research or scholarly activities, especially as they relate to assessment and program evaluation, and quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- Advise and support faculty members, staff members, and learners with the interpretation of assessment and evaluation reports to facilitate data-driven decision making and action planning
- Write grant proposals
- Write recurring OAE newsletters
- Assist OAE Director with planning and conducting professional development activities related to assessment and program evaluation
- Assist the OAE Director with annual program evaluation of the office
- Develop and maintain professional and effective working relationships with JHUSOM educational program stakeholders and partners
- Serve as a member of various committees as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Masters Degree in Health Profession Education or related field and two years of experience.
- Additional education may be substituted for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.*
- Educational and/or professional experiences with, or a strong commitment to learning and effectively applying, the following are required:
- Utilizing educational data systems and reporting software
- Assessing and evaluating medical educational programs
- Utilizing institutional data management and analytic software
- Writing scholarly reports
- Accurately interpreting and effectively using data to drive decision-making and action planning with stakeholders
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for the required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
** Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
- Additional experience or PHD in Educational Psychology, Educational Assessment/Measurement, Quantitative Psychology, or a related field with an emphasis on assessment and evaluation.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, manage time, and meet deadlines effectively.
- Experience with learning management systems, including those that support life-long learning.
- Strong organizational skills and keen attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective use of diplomacy, tact, and judgment.
- Proficiency with the use of Qualtrics, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Intermediate to advanced skills in the use of statistical software (e.g., STATA, SAS, SPSS).
- Knowledge of inferential statistical analyses, including independent and dependent samples t-test, chi-squared test, ANOVA, ANCOVA, Factor Analysis, simple and multiple linear regression, and simple and multiple logistic regression.
- Strong data visualization skills.
- Knowledge of Logic Models to build program evaluation systems.
- Ability to use data management, analysis, and reporting systems (e.g., Qualtrics, B-Line, Blackboard, New Innovations).
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, using a keyboard.
- Communication skills using the spoken word.
- Occasionally lifting, carrying objects weighing 10lbs. or less.
- Occasionally pushing, pulling objects weighing 30lbs. or less.
- Ability to move about.
Classified Title: Psychometrician
Working Title: School of Medicine (SOM) Assessment and Evaluation Specialist
Starting Salary Range: $61,550 - $84,700 annually (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday-Friday 8:30am-5pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: School of Medicine Campus
Department name: SOM Admin Registrar General Admin
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com . For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/ .
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law