Dean of Instruction
- Shelton State Community College
- Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- Category: Executive-Dean-Other Admin-Instructional Technology And Design
- Posting Date: 01/21/2022
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Dean of Instruction
Full Job Description
Please note: Applications and/or resumes submitted only through Indeed.com are insufficient to meet the application requirements for consideration for this position. You will not be considered for this position unless you fulfill all application requirements. Application requirements can be found below and on the official job posting at the following website: https://www.sheltonstate.edu/about-us/employment/full-time-openings/
Position closing date: All application packets must be received by the Office of Human Resources of Shelton State Community College by 5:00 p.m. on February 10, 2022, or if mailed, must be postmarked by said date.
Position: Dean Instruction
Position Summary: The Dean of Instruction, hereafter referred to as “Dean,” is the chief instructional officer of the College and is responsible for the overall operation of the Instructional Division including Academic Services, Health Services, eLearning, and Dual Enrollment. The Dean is also responsible for instructional support units including, but not limited to, Library Services, the Fitness Center, and Theatre Tuscaloosa. Working in cooperation with the President and other college leaders, the Dean provides leadership and supervision in the planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of the instructional and the instructional support units. The Dean is responsible for the maintenance, improvement, quality, and transformation of instruction and instructional support services, for implementing the College’s instructional plan, for advising on budget matters concerning all functions of instruction, and for supervising all personnel within the units above.
Salary Range: $93,286 - $128,829, based upon the Alabama Community College System and Shelton State Community College Salary Schedule B to be determined by the applicant’s education and years of applicable experience. Applicant acknowledges that if selected for the position that applicant’s placement on the applicable salary schedule will be dependent upon the verified information provided by the applicant in accordance with the applicable work experience verification requirements stated in the official job posting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Demonstrate effective leadership and advanced communication skills, written and oral, for:
- Supervising the instructional unit and instructional support units consistent with the vision, mission, goals, and objectives of the College
- The orderly growth, development, and continuous improvement of the curriculum and programs
- Planning and evaluation of the instructional and instructional support units
- Identifying alternative instructional delivery systems including eLearning courses and other methods of distance learning
Demonstrate an effective level of technological knowledge, skills, and abilities to identify and evaluate the instructional technology needs of the College
Demonstrate a high level of creativity and flexibility in:
- Serving the varied educational needs of a diverse service area
- Developing a viable dual-enrollment program with area high schools
- Promote academic integrity and create an effective teaching and learning environment
- Provide leadership in instructional program review, accountability, and viability
- Provide fiscal leadership for instructional programming and budget development
- Participate as appropriate and/or represent the College in/with professional associations and accrediting agencies
- Seek out and participate in leadership and professional development activities
- Ensure that each instructional and instructional support unit participates actively and creatively in the planning process of the College, preparing and implementing an effective annual plan that supports the vision, mission, goals, and objectives
- Provide leadership which ensures that the faculty and staff of the instructional division of the College utilize appropriate up-to-date instructional technology
- Ensure and facilitate the appropriate, orderly, and timely flow of information from instructional and instructional support units of the College to the President and other members of the administrative staff
- Ensure and facilitate the appropriate, orderly, and timely flow of information from the President and the administrative staff to the faculty and the instructional support staff
- Maintain effective communication among instructional and instructional support units of the College, other educational institutions, business and industry, and the community at large as appropriate
- Initiate, maintain, and assure teamwork among all college units through communication of instructional priorities
- Ensure that instructional and instructional support units participate actively and creatively in the planning process of the College, preparing and implementing an effective annual plan that supports the vision, mission, goals, and objectives
- Responsible for the recruitment and retention of full‑time, part‑time, and volunteer faculty, as well as staff personnel supporting the instructional unit
- Identify in-service training needs and create professional development opportunities for faculty and instructional support staff
- Develop and evaluate instructional curriculum, programs, and services that meet community needs
- Responsible for the preparation and evaluation of the schedule of classes and the final exam schedule
- Ensure that institutional effectiveness efforts (including program review) are implemented and integrated into instructional and instructional support units of the College
- Identify computer and information technology needed to upgrade, sustain, or enhance instruction
- Provide leadership for instructional support services including, but not limited to, Library Services, the Fitness Center, and Theatre Tuscaloosa
- Demonstrate knowledge of alternative instructional delivery systems
- Coordinate assessment of faculty, instructional programs, and student learning
- Facilitate effective instructional processes and procedures that foster student success
- Formulate and implement an annual budget that supports the vision, mission, goals, and objectives of the College, and the related goals and operational needs of instructional and instructional support units
- Supervise the expenditure of funds from the annual budget for instructional and instructional support units
- Facilitate, support, and foster team activities and teamwork within instructional and instructional support units
- Demonstrate ethical behavior, loyalty, honesty, and integrity with all colleagues
- Represent the instructional division initiatives of the College with the President and other administrators and staff
- Maintain liaison and a positive working relationship with the President and other principal administrators
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with other administrative colleagues, faculty members, and staff
- Provide leadership in strategic instructional planning and prepare institutional reports as requested by internal and external sources
- Ensure compliance with accreditation requirements of Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and other program specific accreditation agencies
- Ensure the College meets all program viability requirements and program standards of the Alabama Community College System
- Select, mentor, and evaluate faculty, instructional staff, and administrative personnel
- Develop, implement, and evaluate preparatory, transfer, academic, and health educational programming
- Assure compliance with state, regional and federal statutes and guidelines for degree, certificate, and program requirements
- Recommend for approval faculty contracts
- Recommend for approval faculty professional growth plans for advancement in rank
- Recommend for approval full-time faculty requests for rank increases
- Review and validate teaching credentials of faculty to determine qualifications for hiring
- Collaborate with the appropriate personnel to assign classrooms, instructional space, and office work areas
- Make recommendations to the President on hiring, of full-time and part-time faculty and on disciplinary actions
- Make recommendations to the President on the appointment of faculty to action groups and/or teams of the College and the Alabama Community College System
- Allocate resources including, but not limited to, classrooms and equipment designated for instructional use
Responsible for that portion of the college catalog pertaining to instructional and instructional support units of the College
Approve the selection of textbooks and other instructional material
Share institution-wide responsibility with the Dean of Workforce and Economic Development for the annual preparation of a faculty handbook for both full-time and part-time faculty
Share institution-wide responsibility with the Dean of Workforce and Economic Development for developing and implementing an effective orientation program for faculty, both full-time and part-time faculty
Comply with policies of the Alabama Community College System and the College
Serve on College committees as required
Participate in professional development, compliance, performance excellence, and training activities as required
Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Administrative experience in instructional program planning, implementation, evaluation, and continuous quality improvement
- Administrative experience in fiscal management and budget development
- Five years of full-time teaching experience at the college level
- Successful experience in accreditation and/or managing continuous compliance with accreditation guidelines and standards
- Doctorate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Experience working in a community college environment
- Experience with eLearning
- Experience with validating teaching credentials of faculty
Shelton State Community College employment announcements and applications are available at sheltonstate.edu or by contacting the Office of Human Resources at 205.391.2272 or hr @ sheltonstate.edu. The submission of a complete packet by the deadline is the sole responsibility of the applicant. No previous application files will be transferred for consideration of this position. No copies will be given of the application information submitted. Applicants must meet eligibility requirements to work in the U.S. at the time of appointment and must travel at their own expense for all in person interviews.
A completed application packet consists of the following:
- A cover letter of application specifically detailing and relating the applicant’s education, and experience to the qualifications, duties, and responsibilities of the position.
- A hand signed Shelton State Community College employment application. Failure to hand sign the employment application will remove the applicant from consideration.
- A current resume.
- Copies of postsecondary transcript(s) identifying the applicant, institution, and verifying degree(s) earned that demonstrate that the applicant meets the minimum educational requirements for the position. If employed, official transcripts must be received in the Office of Human Resources prior to the employment start date.
Application materials may be mailed, emailed, or hand delivered to the following:
Office of Human Resources
Shelton State Community College
9500 Old Greensboro Road
Tuscaloosa, AL 35405
hr @ sheltonstate.edu
No faxed applications will be accepted. If you have questions, please call 205-391-2272.
IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
WORK EXPERIENCE VERIFICATION:
Meeting Minimum Requirements: If the requirements for a position list work experience in a field or area the Applicant must provide written verification(s) of their applicable work experience in order to be hired for the position. Such written verification(s) of work experience must demonstrate that the applicant meets the minimum work experience requirement. Applicants who do not produce this information as indicated will be ineligible for hire and subject to having any offer of employment withdrawn.
Salary Calculation: For all positions on all Salary Schedules, the salary amount for the selected applicant is determined by step placement on the applicable schedule. Step placement is dependent upon the following: (a) all work experience in public education in Alabama and (b) all other work experience outside of public education in Alabama that, in the sole judgment of the College, directly relates to the requirements of the position. The applicant selected for the position must provide written verification(s) of this work experience within the time provided herein if such experience is to be considered in determining their initial step place on the Salary Schedule.
Format for Work Experience Verifications: Work experience verifications should be in the form of verification letters from employers and must include complete employment dates, job title(s), job duties, and an indication whether such employment was full-time or part-time, and if part-time, the average number of hours worked each week. The letters should be on official letterhead and contain an authorized personnel signature. The College’s official employment verification form is also acceptable and is available upon request. If an employment verification cannot be obtained due to a legitimate reason, for purposes of meeting minimum requirements an applicant may submit copies of other trustworthy documentation such as appointment letters, contracts, pay stubs, or W-2 forms documenting the term of employment. However, such documentation is generally insufficient for salary calculation purposes if job duties are not self-evident in the documentation.
Deadline for Producing Work Experience Verification: With limited exception, work experience verification documentation must be produced prior to any official offer of employment. Work experience verification from a current employer may, upon request, be delayed until an official offer of employment. Any offer of employment at a salary step greater than zero (0) or made without prior verification of any required work experience, is contingent upon production of this documentation by the applicant within ten (10) days of the offer.
It is the applicant’s sole responsibility to provide this verification of work experience. The College is not responsible for any cost associated with such verifications.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $93,286.00 - $128,829.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: One location