Part-Time Professor School of Business: Accounting
- Northcentral University
- Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
- Category: Faculty-Business-Accounting Graduate Business School -Faculty
- Posting Date: 01/13/2022
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
The School of Business is actively seeking Part-Time Professors with specializations in Accounting
Adjunct faculty members may teach courses within a programmatic core discipline as assigned, guide doctoral candidates through doctoral dissertation requirements (as Chair or committee member), teach doctoral courses, and develop/revise curriculum. Primary responsibility is to engage students, offer excellent feedback, and inspire students to achieve course and program outcomes relevant to the core discipline. This position works closely with other faculty teaching in the discipline, Associate Director of Faculty Support and Development, Assistant Dean and Dean.
The role of Adjunct Professor may include teaching courses within a programmatic core discipline as assigned, acting as a Dissertation Chair and/or acting as a Dissertation Committee Member.
- Demonstrates a commitment to Northcentral’s vision, mission, and goals and those of the School of Business.
- Promotes a graduate culture of scholarship, teaching, service, and practice.
- Demonstrates commitment to and capacity for Teaching through Engagement and using the NCU One-to-One, apprenticeship-style teaching model.
- Teaches masters and/or doctoral courses in the Business Programs.
- Participates in initial and ongoing training.
- Contributes to developing training materials and provides input on improving training, courses, and processes.
- Participates in trial use of new technologies and integrates new technologies into their teaching.
- Participates in faculty and staff meetings.
- Maintains contact with students via phone, video conferencing, and email through their courses.
- Works collaboratively with Academic Advisors to ensure student engagement and success.
- Exercises academic freedom in teaching course content and achieving learning outcomes in accordance with University policy, procedures, and curricula.
- Participates in program and student assessment procedures, program review, and accreditation efforts.
- Performs all educational services in accordance with NCU policies and procedures, the Family Education Rights to Privacy Act, Northcentral University’s Code of Conduct and all other state and federal laws.
- Complete all required professional development activities as defined in the Faculty Handbook.
- Tasks and projects as assigned by the Dean, or NCU administrators.
- Reasonable and consistent attendance to fulfill requirements of the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Skill in verbal and written communication.
- Skill in operating equipment, such as personal computer, fax, copier, phone systems.
- Ability to handle a diversity of details in order to make informed and responsive decisions on matters that impact the adjunct faculty, and students.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governing body regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, with a proven ability to provide timely, accurate information on a variety of academically oriented subjects to both internal and external constituents.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and other application in the Microsoft Office suite.
Education and Experience
- Doctorate/ Ph.D. degree in Business directly related to the specializations listed above from a regionally accredited institution
- Minimum two (2) years of direct teaching experience at the Master and/or Doctoral level
- Three to five (3-5) years of professional and/or research experience in the content area
- Research-based, scholarly, peer-reviewed journal article publications preferred
- Excellent skills in teaching online, a passion for teaching, and a commitment to learning to Teaching Through Feedback
- Curriculum development experience preferred
- Experience guiding students through the dissertation process preferred
- Must have personal computer and ability to facilitate online instruction and communications remotely
This position operates in a remote, home office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, printers, and phones.
Faculty at Northcentral University
Northcentral faculty teach one-to-one, faculty-to-student, following a Teaching Through Feedback (TTF) pedagogy (see our Feedback Guide), in which faculty build relationships with each student and teach primarily through their feedback on student work. TTF is Northcentral’s approach to transforming students into professionals and scholars who possess the skills, knowledge, and dispositions identified in their Program Learning Outcomes, graduate, and, as the NCU mission states, “become valuable contributors to their communities and within their professions.”
Northcentral faculty members are expected to be current in their disciplines and highly dedicated to teaching.
Northcentral is committed to providing all students with direct feedback and personal contact with faculty so that students can meet learning outcomes.
Northcentral educates students year round, as an alternative to traditional semester or quarter systems. Full-time faculty carry loads of 50-60 students. Northcentral students do not take classes in a group; 50-60 students in individual courses is the equivalent of a full teaching load at a land-based university (e.g. 3-4 courses).
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. (Visa sponsorship not available).
No agencies or recruiters, please.
NCU will not sponsor applicants for work visas
Who We Are
Northcentral University (NCU) is a private, nonprofit, online University and a proud affiliate of the National University System with its headquarters in California. We are a graduate university, and a global leader in providing access to regionally-accredited higher education.
NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in technology, health sciences and marriage and family therapy. Our collective goal at Northcentral University is to improve the human condition through the provision of high-quality online degree programs.
NCU was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with access to a richly- engaging, professionally-relevant, and academically-rigorous educational programs. Today, we continue to serve that mission. Many students at NCU are first-generation graduate students seeking to contribute to their communities through their pursuit of academic growth, research, and practice.
Though we support faculty and student research, NCU is a teaching university. Our faculty dedicate themselves to serving students through a pedagogical model of Teaching through Engagement (TTE). The goal is for all NCU students, faculty and team members to be actively engaged within the University community. Engagement is more than just grading and giving feedback, it is an active relationship between faculty and student, a give and take of ideas and information.
NCU offers a one-to-one learning model, where one student is paired with one professor in each course, creating a more personalized, individual experience for students. These experiences are enhanced by professors’ real-world, practical experience. All NCU faculty hold doctoral degrees.
At NCU, we are widening access to education and reducing educational divides. We are proud of the educational opportunities that we provide, and we recognize that providing this kind of access to all students takes work and collaborative effort. We value diversity of people, thoughts, and ideas. Our global reach affords us the opportunity to teach and learn the significance of diversity – and the power it brings to our endeavors.
Take advantage of this exciting opportunity to join a growing team of passionate individuals.