Instructor, Communication Studies
- Chabot-Las Positas Community College District
- Location: Dublin, California
- Category: Faculty-Communications-Media & Communication Studies
- Posting Date: 12/01/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Instructor, Communication Studies
Position Type : Faculty
Tenure Information : Tenure Track
Position Code : 2FLA17
Pay Rate : (or Annual Salary) $67,769 - $96,885/annual
Job Location : Chabot College, 25555 Hesperian Blvd., Hayward, CA 94545
Department : Arts, Media and Communication
The Chabot College Community
Chabot College is committed to educational equity in its academic programs and college services so that students may achieve their personal, educational, and career goals. Our equity work today builds upon a strong history: the Puente and Umoja programs were first created at Chabot College, and have since been replicated across the state. These programs have paved the way for a series of additional educational and student support programs intentionally focused on equity that thrive at Chabot College today. Chabot College is located in Hayward, California, the third most diverse city in the United States. We serve a highly diverse student population and are proud to be designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution. Information about the demographics of our campus community can be found https://www.chabotcollege.edu/ir/index.asp.
Serving our diverse community requires a culturally-responsive approach that recognizes the myriad strengths and assets that our students bring to the campus community. We do so by promoting a classroom and co-curricular learning environment that is inclusive, collaborative, engaging, and challenging, and where respect, dignity, and integrity are core values. We see students as producers of knowledge, not just consumers of knowledge. We work to reframe inequities as a problem of practice, and view the elimination of inequities as an individual and institutional responsibility.
Joining Our College Community
We seek equity-minded applicants who demonstrate they understand the benefits diversity brings to an educational community. We look for applicants who:
1. Value and intentionally promote diversity and consciousness of difference
2. Demonstrate cultural humility and an ongoing desire to improve cultural competence
3. Are dedicated to addressing issues of social justice
4. Accept their shared role and responsibility in addressing opportunity and achievement gaps experienced by students
5. Have experience and success in closing student equity gaps and engaging in equitable practices, or are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about implementing practices that achieve these goals
6. Actively seek to identify, disrupt, and remove institutional and/or systemic barriers that adversely impact historically marginalized communities
7. Empower the underrepresented and underserved
8. Foster students’ potential to become global citizens and socially responsible leaders
9. Believe that all people have the right to an education and work environment free from fear, harassment, or discrimination.
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking a Instructor, Speech for Chabot College in Hayward, CA.
1. Knowledge of diverse communication styles.
2. Participation in campus professional activities that include, but are not limited to, development of curriculum and new instructional approaches, committee membership, staff meetings and community outreach.
3. Commitment to working successfully as a team with other Communication Studies Instructors, Colleagues, the Communication Studies Lab, and the Forensics program.
4. Ability to teach late afternoon, evening, weekend, distance learning and/or off campus classes.
5. Ability to participate in articulation and recruitment activities as assigned.
6. Ability to interact successfully with others.
7. Ability to adapts instructional techniques to accommodate varied learning styles and abilities, including distance learning.
8. Ability to teach all Communication Studies courses offered at Chabot.
9. Interest in developing and teaching online/large lecture courses.
Minimum Education and Experience
Master’s degree in Speech, Speech Broadcasting, Telecommunications, Rhetoric, Communication, Communication Studies, Speech Communication, or Organizational Communication OR bachelor’s in any Communication, or English OR the equivalent.
You will be required to upload your transcripts. You must upload all applicable transcripts, credentials and/or certificates required to meet minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying. Any degrees earned outside the United States must have an official US evaluation (course by course) of the transcripts and must be submitted with the application. In the case that the file you are uploading is too large or you do not have your transcripts readily available, please upload a document in place of stating you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, or by fax (925) 485-5254, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
Degrees in Progress: To be conferred on or before July 1, 2022 will be considered, provided that the applicant also submits (1) an up-to-date transcript, (2) a photocopy of the degree requirement from the school catalog, and (3) proof of current course(s) and enrollment. Please provide your explanation and background material by using the optional document upload called “Other Document”. If you are unable to upload the above, please upload a document in its place and state you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
Applicants applying under the “Equivalent provision” must provide details that explain at time of application how their academic preparation is the equivalent of the degree listed above. Please provide your explanation by using the optional document upload called “Equivalency Statement”.
Demonstrate sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical and/or learning disabilities
Experience and/or knowledge in one of the following areas: Communication Studies lab coordination, forensics, and/or distance education.
Job Work Schedule
This position is full-time, tenure track, beginning Fall 2022. Employment will begin on or about August 15, 2022.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE UNABLE TO CARRY OUT THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES OF THE POSITION WILL RECEIVE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS TO ENABLE THEM TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.
Posting Number : F107P
Open Date : 11/30/2021
Close Date : 01/24/2022
Open Until Filled : No
Special Instructions to Applicants
The Board of Trustees has implemented a vaccine mandate for all employees. Accordingly, finalist(s) must comply with the vaccine mandate prior to being forwarded to the Board of Trustees for approval. See vaccine mandate information at http://districtazure.clpccd.org/policies/files/docs/BP7330.pdf.
Notification to Applicants
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position.
Instructions for Personal Qualifications Statement
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed To Apply
- Cover Letter
- Personal Qualifications Statement
- Optional Documents
- Other Document
- Equivalency Statement