Director of Finance and Administration
- Brown University
- Location: Providence, Rhode Island
- Category: Admin-Business And Financial Management
- Posting Date: 11/23/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
The Director of Finance and Administration provides oversight of all fiscal and compliance functions for one (1) of four (4) administrative units within the School of Public Health providing leadership for the academic, administrative, financial, and human resources operations. This individual serves as the senior advisor to the Department Chair and Center Directors in all matters related to strategic planning, operations and administration, and the commitment of resources. These responsibilities involve the oversight of financial management, academic program support, and business services infrastructure and plays a key role in the development and review of all funding proposals, and approves all major commitments of resources. The Director of Finance and Administration directly supervises the administrative staff and has oversight over administrative procedures affecting all faculty, staff and students in the unit. The incumbent is part of a shared governance structure with the Dean’s office and reports to the Executive Dean of Finance and Administration.
Oversight and administrative management (30%)
Supporting Actions: Provides high level oversight of the day to day operation functions of the administrative unit. Provides continual assessment of operational practices to identify areas of improvement. Provides oversight on the faculty appointment processes for searches, appointments, reappointments, promotions and terminations. Oversees the coordination of the Postdoctoral Fellowship program. Oversees planning and coordination of special events. Serves as a point of contact with the Office of Sponsored Projects (OSP), Faculty Affairs, and Academic Affairs. Provides administration leadership to all employees of the unit. Collaborates with the administrative team on strategic planning initiatives.
Financial Administration and Planning (30%)
Supporting Actions: Assumes comprehensive fiscal oversight of financial resources comprising various grants, contracts, gifts, appropriations, and reserve funds. Responsible for the annual budget and forecast process for cost centers. Advises Principal Investigators (PIs) and Project Managers on project budget management issues and provides individual PI funding projections. Oversees a financial monitoring and reporting system that meets both the internal management information needs and external reporting requirements of the various projects and activities. Implements policies and procedures to guide the unit’s spending of grant and institutional funds in coordination with School and University Policies. Ensures that the use of grant funds conforms to funding agency (federal government and private foundations) terms and conditions. Ensures that all sponsored projects adhere to the financial and progress reporting requirements of their respective funding agencies. Oversees time and effort reporting. Reviews/approves all major commitments of funds.
Proposal Development and Review (25%)
Supporting Actions: Collaborates with faculty and postdoctoral fellows in the preparation of proposals for external funding. Advises PIs in the formulation of the financial components of the project proposal. Reviews final proposals to ensure that all financial components are complete and in conformance with funding agency, SPH, and University requirements. Collaborate with the Office of Sponsored Projects staff in their review and approval of each proposal.
Management of Administrative Unit Staff (15%)
Supporting Actions: Builds, leads and develops a diverse and effective team; planning and delegating work effectively; communicating and monitoring performance expectations; motivating and developing direct reports; and ensuring compliance with Brown policies and procedures. Establishes protocols, supervises, and monitors progress of direct reports. Communicates with team members to provide feedback and support throughout the year as well as preparing and reviewing annual performance reviews with direct reports. Conducts meetings with staff members. Assigns, delegates, and monitors workloads and cultivates professional development opportunities for staff. Informs staff of training and cross-training opportunities.
● Master’s degree in business or educational administration or equivalent combination of experience and education
● Seven (7) to ten (10) years’ experience in administration, including financial and operations, of a complex, externally funded research enterprise
● Exceptional management and leadership skills for effective collaboration with numerous individuals and offices at various levels of influence/responsibility within the University organization
● Experience in strategic planning
● Demonstrated experience in process improvement
● Knowledgeable in NIH guidelines and regulations and sponsored projects administration
● A perspective that is both business management focused and that understands and supports the research and training missions of the organization
● Excellent organizational and communication skills and ability to work will with others
● Ability to oversee, direct and cultivate productive teams
● Ability to prioritize a complex workload and multi-task efficiently
● Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
● Experience with financial modeling, budget preparation and management of financial data.
● Possess a willingness and ability to support and promote a diverse and inclusive campus community.
● Considerable grant management experience (pre- and post-award); NCURA/ORA certifications preferred
Background Check: Criminal and Education Verification
In order to maintain 90% or greater universal vaccination rates on campus, all newly hired employees at Brown University must receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine before they begin work, unless they are approved for a medical or religious exemption. For more information, please visit the Healthy Brown site.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:Director of Finance and Administration
Department:Public Health Administration
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Position Classification:Hybrid Eligible
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com .
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.