Digital Communications Manager
- University of California, San Francisco
- Location: San Francisco, California
- Category: Admin-Public Relations, Marketing and Communications
- Posting Date: 10/02/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
A key member of the Communications team, this position will report to the Department’s Director of Communications and work with a multimedia team to create and execute a Department-wide web and social media strategy and editorial plan.
The Digital Communications Manager will recruit, train and supervise digital communications staff members, overseeing their day-to-day work and providing timely feedback on projects. In this role they will be charged with motivating their team members, providing a positive work environment, and setting performance expectations.
Together with their staff, the Digital Communications Manager will create and curate content aimed at key audiences on websites and social media while maintaining a consistent and meaningful brand message. In partnership with subject matter experts, the Digital Media Specialist will identify and develop stories and social media conversations on issues that intersect with the Department’s areas of excellence — both clinical and basic science. This position is also be charged with ensuring compliance with established Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) policies, ADA web standards, and UCSF social media guidelines.
The Digital Communications Manager will be responsible for actively monitoring and measuring the impact of engagement efforts and implement adjustments as necessary. They will also be responsible for regular reporting on KPIs to the Director of Communications and creating and maintaining a budget.
The role is responsible for the efficiency and effectiveness of the operations and processes in their area and requires excellent judgment, streamlined and professional communication, and quick turnaround in a fast-paced working environment. The ideal candidate will be personable and able to interact successfully with a wide variety of individuals in a warm, collaborative manner.
The Department of Neurosurgery is a highly active clinical and research department within the School of Medicine (SOM). The Department has more than 70 full-time faculty working as clinicians and/or basic research scientists, 13 recall faculty, 20 volunteer faculty, 29 non-faculty academics, 44 postdoctoral scholars, 21 residents, 6 clinical fellows, 7 graduate students and approximately 185 administrative, clinic and research staff. The Department conducts its clinical, teaching, and research activities at four UCSF campuses: Parnassus, Mt. Zion, Veteran’s Administration (VA) Medical Center, San Francisco General Hospital (SFGH) and the Helen Diller Cancer Building at Mission Bay. Faculty and staff are located at the Parnassus and Mission Bay Campuses as well as SFGH and the VA.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
• Solid knowledge of all aspects of digital communications, including design concepts, various media, applications, strategic planning, etc.
• Advanced knowledge of neuroscience and neurosurgery topics and trends
• Knowledge of HTML and content management systems
• Excellent proofreading skills
• Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, InDesign, and InCopy
• Experience using web and social media analytics to refine communication strategy
• Solid skills to ensure production of high-quality work within budget and time constraints
• Ability to communicate complex scientific information understandably, accurately and engagingly to the public
• Solid project management and strategic planning skills
• Solid written, verbal, interpersonal communications, active listening and political acumen skills
• Solid analytical and critical thinking skills
• Ability to initiate and balance multiple projects, meet deadlines, and work with diverse teams
• Collaborate with a diverse faculty group with a high level of professionalism
• PhD or certificate from accredited science-writing program
• Solid knowledge of the current trends and potential future developments in the digital communications field
• Solid knowledge of the organization, including its achievements, mission, vision, goals, policies, practices and infrastructure
• Solid knowledge and skills in financial and personnel administration and management techniques, including understanding of guiding principles, relevant laws, policies and best practices
• Solid skills to select, train, supervise, guide and evaluate subordinate staff, and take corrective action as required
• Solid problem recognition, avoidance, and resolution skills
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences. We bring together the world’s leading experts in nearly every area of health. We are home to five Nobel laureates who have advanced the understanding of cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, aging and stem cells.
UCSF is a diverse community made of people with many skills and talents. We seek candidates whose work experience or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to professionalism, respect, integrity, diversity and excellence – also known as our PRIDE values.
In addition to our PRIDE values, UCSF is committed to equity – both in how we deliver care as well as our workforce. We are committed to building a broadly diverse community, nurturing a culture that is welcoming and supportive, and engaging diverse ideas for the provision of culturally competent education, discovery, and patient care. Additional information about UCSF is available at diversity.ucsf.edu
Join us to find a rewarding career contributing to improving healthcare worldwide.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Job Code and Payroll Title
000407 DIGITAL COMM SUPV 2
Clinical Systems / IT Professionals, Executive, Professional and Managerial
99 - Policy-Covered (No Bargaining Unit)
Parnassus Heights (SF)
Additional Shift Details
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm