Postdoctoral Fellow (Electrocatalysts for NAWI)
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Location: Berkeley, California
- Category: Admin-Other Administrative Positions
- Posting Date: 09/30/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Berkeley Lab’s Energy Storage & Distributed Resources Division (ESDR) is looking for a Postdoctoral Fellow to participate in the development of electrocatalysts for direct electrochemical reduction of oxyanion species in water matrices. Our goal is to develop novel electrocatalysts that can precisely, efficiently, and cost-effectively reduce oxyanion species using high throughput experimental workflow.
What You Will Do:
- Conduct research in electrocatalysts for direct electrochemical reduction of oxyanion species in water.
- Develop compatible synthesis for the production of metal nanoparticles on automated, solution synthesis robots.
- Develop robust processes and electrochemical cells for screening of electrocatalytic properties of the as-produced materials.
- Identify characterization techniques suitable for the fast screening of materials properties and electrocatalytic products.
- Characterize electrocatalytic products using synchrotron X-ray radiation techniques.
- Write quarterly reports and provide quarterly updates to NAWI leadership.
- Disseminate research through publication of journal articles, present research work at relevant conferences (e.g., ECS, MRS, and ACS).
What is Required:
- A recent Ph.D. in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or related fields.
- Experience in nanomaterial synthesis.
- Experience in electrochemistry or electrochemical engineering.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
What We Prefer:
- Experience in electrocatalysis development and characterization.
- Experience in electrochemical cell design.
- Experience in autonomous experimental workflow.
- Experience with synchrotron x-ray radiation techniques.
For full consideration, please apply by October 19, 2021 with the following application materials:
- Cover Letter - Describe your interest in this position and the relevance of your background.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume.
- This is a full time, exempt from overtime pay (monthly paid), 1 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years of paid postdoctoral experience.
- Salaries for postdoctoral positions depend on years of experience post-degree and are predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
- This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be performed onsite at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
The Energy Storage and Distributed Resources Division (ESDR ) works on developing advanced batteries and fuel cells for transportation and stationary energy storage, grid-connected technologies for a cleaner, more reliable, resilient, and cost-effective future, and demand-responsive and distributed energy technologies for a dynamic electric grid.
Berkeley Lab’s Postdoc Program is committed to providing Postdoctoral Researchers and Visiting scholars with a positive and impactful experience to jump-start their career through premium research and career development, networking opportunities, mentoring programs, and a strong community. For more information, please visit our Berkeley Lab Postdoc Resources site and our Berkeley Lab Postdoc Association site.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here for the supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law" and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.