Postdoctoral Research Associate - Secure Data-Driven Manufacturing Process Control
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
- Category: Admin-Computing-Database Administration
- Posting Date: 09/24/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Requisition Id 6615
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Manufacturing Automation and Controls Group in the Manufacturing Sciences Division (MSD), Energy Science and Technology Directorate (ESTD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) who will focus on developing cybersecure methods of process monitoring, analysis, and feedback control for manufacturing processes.
As part of our research team, you will develop new methods of manufacturing process monitoring, analytics, and feedback control to protect and control manufacturing equipment. In addition, you will develop secure methods of information transfer applicable to both legacy and modern manufacturing equipment. Finally, you will use machine learning methods to analyze and predict effects of modification to ongoing manufacturing processes. This project will require working with external partners, corporations, and sponsors to develop and deploy these technologies.
- Conduct hands-on research investigating secure methods of closed-loop control for manufacturing systems
- Apply process monitoring and analysis techniques to quantify and predict performance of related process control parameters through machine learning applications
- Develop and test cybersecurity methods to protect manufacturing equipment from malicious access
- A PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Experience working with data analytics with applications to process control
- Baisc programming abilities in Python, C, or similar language
- Experience working with commercial manufacturing equipment such as CNC maching centers
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville