Dean of Language and Literature
- Los Rios Community College District
- Location: Sacramento, California
- Category: Executive-Dean-Other
- Posting Date: 09/22/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Job Posting TitleDean of Language and Literature
LocationLos Rios Community College District (Sacramento City College)
Department LocationLanguage and Literature
Founded in 1916, Sacramento City College (SCC) is a multi-campus, urban college that consists of a 70-acre main campus across from William Land Park. The college has two educational centers, one in Davis on the campus of the University of California, Davis, and one in West Sacramento located adjacent to the public library, community center and civic center. SCC is a vibrant teaching and learning institution with approximately 20,000 day and evening students and is recognized as both a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI).
SCC has a rich history in the community and has expanded educational opportunities to students across the region. SCC awards Associate in Arts or Science degrees as well as Associate Degrees for Transfer, which guarantee transfer into the California State University system. The college offers Career Education certificates and degrees, transfer credit for students who desire to continue their education at a four-year college or university, and instruction in basic skills such as English, English as a second language, and mathematics.
Faculty and staff at SCC value a collaborative and diverse campus community. As one of four colleges within the Los Rios Community College District, Sacramento City College embraces change, values excellence in academic achievement and supports the success of students as they pursue their dreams.
The disciplines supervised by the Dean of Language and Literature include: English, English as a Second Language (ESL), and Journalism. Classes in these disciplines are offered on the main campus in Sacramento, the Davis Center, the West Sacramento Center, and other off campus sites.
The Language and Literature Division maintains a focus on a philosophy of collegiality and innovation while focusing efforts on equitable opportunities and outcomes for all students. It consistently refines and develops its programs in English, ESL, and Journalism to be responsive to the large number of students that it serves.
● Providing leadership for the Language and Literature Division in program development, program review, faculty and student recruitment, and evaluation.
● Providing leadership and facilitation in the development of partnerships with the local community, transfer institutions, and feeder high schools.
● Assisting faculty in the development and administration of grants.
● Providing administration and supervision to the area, including evaluation, scheduling, budgeting, curriculum development, facilities utilization, and staff development.
● Providing administration and supervision of division labs.
● Providing leadership for division activities related to Student Equity.
● Collaborating with other instructional and student service divisions on college-wide programs to support students and ensure clear academic pathways.
● Collaborating with deans and other administrators on strategies for leading the college in meeting its goals and fulfilling its vision.
● Facilitating communication between the Language and Literature Division and the college at large.
● Performing other duties as assigned.
The administrative assignment may include day, evening, weekend, and/or off campus work and/or hours.
Work Year12 month
1. Los Rios Community College District Administrative Application
2. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work
5. Letter of Interest
- Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified.
- Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as unofficial transcripts.
- Applicants, including current Los Rios Community College District employees, are required to provide unofficial transcripts, if required to meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
- Applicants are required to submit official transcripts within 60 days of the time of hire.
- Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents.
- A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
- Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators. For additional information on foreign transcript evaluations click here.
Salary$142,043 to $153,752 annually. LRCCD Salary Schedules
Additional Salary InformationAdditional stipend for an earned doctorate from an accredited university.
Beginning and/or Ending Dates
Beginning on or about January 1, 2022
How and where to apply
After hours inquiries should be emailed to email@example.com. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m. of the posting closing date.