Scripps Postdoctoral Scholar Award - 2022
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego
- Location: La Jolla, California
- Category: Admin-Other Administrative Positions
- Posting Date: 09/21/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Scripps Postdoctoral Scholar Award - 2022
Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego in La Jolla, California, invites applications for one or more Institution-wide Postdoctoral positions in any of the major areas of research conducted at Scripps. Scripps Institution of Oceanography is one of the oldest, largest, and most important centers for marine science research in the world. Research at Scripps encompasses physical, chemical, biological, geological, and geophysical studies of the oceans, earth, and atmosphere.
Scripps Postdoctoral scholars are expected to interact with existing programs. Research activities at Scripps can be explored by viewing profiles of the Principal Investigators at Scripps (https://scripps.ucsd.edu/people/faculty). The intention of this program is to expose early career postdocs to new research opportunities and the facilities available at SIO/UCSD. Awards are competitive with a major emphasis on potential for independent, creative research. The Postdoc positions are for one year, and award twelve months of salary with a minimum stipend of $64,000 plus benefits and a one-time research allowance of $6,000. An additional twelve months of support will be granted (subject to satisfactory review), totaling 24 months. Appointees are eligible for health insurance through UC San Diego.
Candidate application materials include a current CV, summary of doctoral dissertation, statement of research, mentor support letter, two confidential letters of recommendation, and a summary of their past or potential contributions to diversity. See our Faculty Equity site for more information on contributions to diversity statements. Candidates are required to contact potential mentors and identify mutual research interests prior to submitting their applications. Successful candidates are expected to start before December 1, 2022. For full consideration, candidates should apply by November 5, 2021.
For instructions about the Scripps Postdoctoral Program, Reference Letters, and Mentor Support Letters, go to: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/postdocs/program
QualificationsBasic qualifications (required at time of application)
Candidates are required to be pursuing a PhD degree in ocean, earth or atmospheric sciences, mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, environmental policy or a related field that will be conferred by November 30, 2022.
Additional qualifications (required at time of start)
Candidates are required to have a PhD degree in ocean, earth or atmospheric sciences, mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, environmental policy or a related field conferred by November 30, 2022. Candidates are required to have no more than 3 years postdoctoral experience at the time of appointment.
Application RequirementsDocument requirements
• Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
• Summary of Doctoral Dissertation - One page summary (abstract) of your doctoral dissertation.
• Statement of Research - A concise statement describing your research interests (3 page maximum), in particular, those interests you'd like to pursue at Scripps as well as more general career plans and how a postdoc position at Scripps would complement your existing experience.
• Mentor Support Letter 1 - Applicant obtains a mentor support letter which addresses the mentor's willingness to serve as a mentor, provides an assessment of the candidate's training, former work, and suitability for the proposed postdoctoral project and includes access to appropriate facilities.
• Mentor Support Letter 2 - OPTIONAL (if candidate has additional mentor)
• Mentor Support Letter 3 - OPTIONAL (if candidate has additional mentor)
• Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Applicants should summarize their past or potential contributions to diversity. See our http://facultydiversity.ucsd.edu/recruitment/contributions-to-diversity.html site for more information.
• Misc / Additional (Optional)
• 2 letters of reference required
Two outside letters of recommendation are required.
Help contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of California, San Diego is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, covered veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy. (https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19) All Covered Individuals under the policy must provide proof of Full Vaccination or, if applicable, submit a request for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability, and/or Religious Objection) or Deferral (based on pregnancy) no later than the applicable deadline. For new University of California employees, the applicable deadline is eight weeks after their first date of employment.
The University of California prohibits https://smokefree.ucsd.edu/ use at all University controlled properties.
Job location La Jolla, California
To apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/2505201