STEM Education Coordinator
- Virginia Community College System
- Location: Manassas, Virginia
- Category: Sciences, Technology, Engineering & Math
- Posting Date: 08/17/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
The security of our students, faculty, and staff is very important at NOVA. Please take a moment to review
General Description: NOVA SySTEMic is Northern Virginia Community College’s STEM outreach program. We’re passionate about developing a pipeline of student-centered activities from elementary school to career, building the STEM workforce of the future in the process. This STEM Coordinator will be responsible for leading engineering outreach activities and developing programs which integrate CAD, 3D printing and robotics to support engineering education in K-12 and college levels.
Duties and Tasks:
- Facilitates and coordinates STEM integration programming at elementary, secondary, postsecondary and adult levels.
- Responsible for development and extension of school, higher education and business partnerships in STEM and engineering
- Coordinates activities focused around engineering, including summer STEM camps, Fab Lab activities, career exploration opportunities, and workshops.
- Coordinates STEM competitions and Engineering professional development, which are being delivered to participating faculty, teachers and students.
- Serves one or more of the NOVA area school divisions and may be called upon to engage in state activities that are influenced by the region they serve.
- Plan, implement and assess outreach events.
- Recruit program participants and volunteer for NOVA SySTEMic activities and community STEM related events.
- The STEM Education Coordinator will work throughout the Northern Virginia region and work with instructional teams to create effective STEM learning experiences for students.
May be required to perform other duties as assigned. May be required to assist the agency or state government generally in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor.
- Ability to Interact and maintain productive relationships with students, faculty, corporations and community agencies;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Excellent Planning/coordination of partnership activities skills;
- Excellent presentation and strong organizational skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Knowledge of budgeting, data tracking and equipment inventory;
- Knowledge of STEM educational programming that includes engineering, robotics, programming, and CAD.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM or related field, or equivalent applicable experience or training.
- Some experience in STEM educational programming
- Some experience with planning and coordinating STEM activities.
- Master’s Degree in a STEM or related field, or equivalent applicable experience or training.
- Previous experience with equipment inventory.
- Previous experience with STEM educational programming that includes but is not limited to biotechnology, engineering, robotics, programming, IT and/or cybersecurity.
- Previous experience with planning and coordinating STEM activities.
- Some experience with budgeting and data tracking;
- This position is restricted and is funded with non-continuous or non-recurring funding and is subject to continuation based on fiscal year funds and the needs of the college.
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth’s Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.
The VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative Action Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and ADAAA), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection processes.
VCCS uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.