Postdoctoral Research Associate - Laser Based Sensor Systems
- Delaware State University
- Location: Dover, Delaware
- Category: Admin-Laboratory and Research
- Posting Date: 02/21/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Delaware State University
Postdoctoral Research Associate – Laser-based Sensor Systems for Environmental and Defense Applications
Division of Physics, Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science
Optical Science Center for Applied Research
College of Agriculture, Science and Technology
Apply online at www.desu.edu
Applications will be accepted until position is filled
THIS IS A 100% GRANT FUNDED POSITION
Position Description: Photonic Sensors Systems Research Group at Delaware State University is seeking qualified candidate for the position of postdoctoral researcher. The position involves multidisciplinary research in atmospheric sensing and mid-infrared laser systems with particular focus on frequency comb metrology and field applications. Candidates will work in this cross-disciplinary research area along with our collaborators. Individuals with evidence of experience in scholarly research and a strong commitment to excellence in education are encouraged to apply. A Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Optics, Physics, Material or Applied Physics, or a related area is required. Appointments will be for one year, with possibility of renewal pending funding and satisfactory performance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Duties may vary and other duties may be assigned):
- Conduct independent research in design, development and deployment of laser-based sensor systems for field applications.
- Design, plan, and execute field campaigns to evaluate field prototype systems.
- Design and Develop electronics and optomechanical components, interfaces with knowledge of programing/simulation skills on platforms including, LabVIEW, MATLAB, CAD, Python, Optical design, etc.
- Write peer-reviewed journal publications and present at academic conferences and other meetings.
- Assist the PI in project management and coordinate research group meeting across collaborators and other stakeholders.
- A Ph.D. degree is required with particular interest in candidates with experience in remote sensing, air quality monitoring, or greenhouse gas observations, hazardous material sensing.
- Experience design and development of semiconductor laser-based sensors, e.g., Distributed feedback, Quantum Cascade Lasers sensors.
- Experience with analysis and Data Science skillsets e.g. Machine learning, satellite data is preferred but not required.
- Field work experience is preferred but not required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work and mentor undergraduate and graduate students.
Applicants must apply online for full consideration. Please include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, research statement (limited to 3-pages) describing recent research experience and future career plans and contact information for three references. For any questions please contact, Dr. Mohammad Amir Khan (firstname.lastname@example.org )
Note: The University reserves the right to change or reassign job duties as provided in policy and negotiated agreements.
Delaware State University is an equal opportunity, Title IX Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, age or disability.