The School of Agricultural and Natural Sciences (SANS), University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES), seeks applications and nominations for the position of Post¬Doctoral Fellow, Center for Integrated Pest Management (CIPM) ¬ AES. The position will contribute to the current basic and applied research in Dr. Zebeloʹs lab relating to plant¬insect interactions using both model and non-model plants such as field crops, fruits, and vegetables. The individual will also have the opportunity to participate in grant proposal development and to mentor undergraduate and graduate students. The appointment is for an initial period of one year with a possibility of extension up to one additional year, depending on the performance and funding availability.
The main responsibilities for the position will include work on a USDA¬NIFA funded project on microbe mediated plant interactions and pest management. Specifically the incumbent will be involved in ongoing research projects that include but are not limited to:
- Conducting laboratory and greenhouse Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) collection and quantification/qualification using GCMS/LCMS.
- Running insect behavioral assays( Y¬tube test, GCEAD).
- Conducting molecular assays that include DNA, RNA extraction, PCR, qPCR…etc.
- Conducting pest management studies on campus and farmerʹs fields.
- Collecting and analyzing data, preparing reports and research manuscripts, developing and submitting research proposals to funding agencies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
25-0000 Education, Training, and Library Occupations
- An earned Ph.D. in Entomology or a related discipline such as chemical ecology, biology, ecology or, chemistry at the time of employment.
- Selected candidates must have experience with chemical and/or molecular ecology techniques, field and demonstrate interdisciplinary and team research experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
Operation and trouble shooting of GCMS/LCMS; work with insects; skilled in DNA, RNA extraction; conduct PCR and qPCR analysis.
UMES is an EEO/AA employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, marital status, genetic information, or political affiliation. Minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The successful candidate must be able to show acceptable documentation establishing the right to accept employment in the United States of America without employer sponsorship.