Under the direct supervision of the Law School Dean, the Associate Dean for Student Affairs oversees the student affairs division for the law school including supervisory authority over the following divisions: Student Life, Career Services, and Financial Aid. Ensure integrity in the delivery of appropriate services to a diverse student population.
1. Oversee and implement all student related matters by:
- Advising and counseling students as to all law school related issues including academic, student related or personal concerns.
- Implementing and enforcing Student Code of Conduct
- Manage all ADA students, set up testing arrangement and work with student note takers.
- Counseling and disciplining students as necessary
- Resolve discrepancies between Barry application and provide disciplinary actions to students, if necessary
- Evaluating students’ petitions in regard to academic matters and recommending alternative solutions.
- Counseling students regarding probation letters and dismissals
- Assisting students and the Registrar’s office in day to day problems that arise
- Participate in review of Honor Code complaints and make determination to send to committee for further action.
- Review and make determinations on all excused absence forms submitted.
- Revamp policy for proctors for law school exams.
2. Provide leadership and oversee the Student Affairs departments by:
- Supervising and supporting the Director of Career Services and Student Life, who manages approximately 35 social student organizations and those corresponding budgets of approximately $76,000.
- Supervising and counseling the Director of Student Financial Services, and the Director of Career Services and Student Life to aid in the achievement of departmental goals and assist with various challenges/obstacles presented to the departments as necessary
- Supervise staff counsel and coordinate with her regarding student issues and challenges
- Providing guidance as to annual strategy for each department and assist with employee personnel issues as presented
3. Perform daily administrative tasks to:
- Assist the Dean and other Associate Deans as required to achieve the overall goals of the law school
- Oversee long term administrative and budget planning for each department within Student Affairs
- Correspond with Florida Bar regarding students who have incurred violations.
- Review amendments to students’ law school application
- Assist with development of updates to student handbook
- Revise Student Code of Conduct annually
- Act as liaison with main campus to coordinate accommodated testing conditions for students with disabilities
- Serve on various committees across the law school community
4. Oversee Law School campus events by:
- Overseeing all aspects and managing the coordination team for law school graduation and commencement festivities, including graduate reception, for approximately 2500 guests
- Supervising the planning and implementation student orientation ensuring it runs smoothly and effectively.
- Overseeing the planning of Barristers’ Ball for approximately 300 guests.
- Oversee and supervise annual pro bono fair as well as all other career services and financial aid programs.
- Juris Doctorate is required.
- Three to five years of relevant student affairs experience; preferably with a law school.
- Experience ensuring integrity in the delivery of appropriate services to a diverse student population
Benefits: Barry University offers a comprehensive benefits package to full-time employees that includes health, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement, tuition assistance, paid time off and work/life balance initiatives such as wellness programs, spirituality in the workplace, and training and development.
Barry University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.