Are you looking for an opportunity that will keep you engaged, challenged, and growing year after year?
Are you searching for meaningful work that prioritizes creative problem-solving over profits?
Do you have a strong software engineering and mathematics background?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
The Tactical Intelligence Systems Group of the Asymmetric Operations Sector is seeking experienced engineers, scientists, and developers driven by curiosity, motivated to deliver solutions, and who have a real passion for learning! We are looking for developers create powerful, cutting-edge solutions for challenges in immersive user interfaces, run-time simulation, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. This may involve:
• Surveying academic research to and industry tools to solve problems related to game engine rendering, graphics optimization, and custom shaders
• Crafting simulations to generate datasets for machine learning algorithms
• Performing full-stack architecture and API design for integrating diverse systems
• Building and implementing artificial intelligence algorithms to drive characters in a variety of simulations
• Developing immersive user experiences in augmented and virtual reality
• Developing software frameworks to manage and analyze agent behavior
• Collaborating with Laboratory, for-profit contractor, and sponsor teams to address critical sponsor needs
• Effectively communicating results with non-expert audiences, and generating creative ideas to benefit the country.
• Some limited travel (up to 10%) to customer sites, and occasional weekend and other after-hours work required to handle and/or complete critical project/work-related business needs.
As a Senior Software Engineer / Computer Scientist, you will....
• Primarily be responsible for applying knowledge in game design, machine learning, full-stack design, and software development to data analysis problems for our sponsors.
• Work independently and on teams to engineer software solutions.
• Explore promising research and maintain / gain the technical edge required for projects, and share and develop new approaches and methods.
• Collaborate to document and support software analytics, and clearly present status and results to internal and external partners.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
• Possess a BS degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or an engineering- related technical track.
• Have a strong math background.
• Are willing and able to deliver operational solutions within business constraints.
• Have demonstrated experience in software development and machine learning
• Hold an active Top Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
• Have a Master's or PhD degree in Computer Science or a related field and 10+ years of relevant experience.
• Possess 2+years of experience performing development using a graphics engine such as Unity3D, Unreal Engine, Blender or Maya.
• Have 2+ years of experience applying machine learning to data science or artificial intelligence.
• Are experienced in developing Augmented / Virtual Reality solutions.
• Are experienced with team-based development of software products and are able to lead development and research projects.
• Have experience with machine learning libraries such as Tensorflow, Keras, Caffe, MXNet, CNTK, and scikit-learn, and are familiar with modern databases and parallel computation.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.