Position TitleVice President of Student & Educational Services
Division/DepartmentStudent & Educational Services
Full-time, Pay grade 12 (Starting Salary $124,427 – $141,855: Commensurate with Qualifications and Experience)
Position Accountabilities and Essential FunctionsThe successful candidate must demonstrate experience, skills, and commitment to fostering an environment of diversity and inclusion in student, faculty and staff.
Under the direction of the President, the Vice President of Student & Educational Services provides strong leadership in planning, developing, administering, coordinating and evaluating the college’s student success services programs, recommending and administering student success services related policies and procedures, and collaborating with appropriate areas of the college to ensure student success. The Vice President will provide administrative leadership to the operations of services related to successful student recruitment, retention, completion, transfer and community outreach which encompasses admissions, records, registration, learning centers, dual enrollment, financial aid, academic advising, academic counselling, career development, job placement, athletics, student life, public safety, multicultural services, and services for students with disabilities. This position is responsible for leading the College’s partnerships that involve public and private secondary schools, four-year colleges, universities, surrounding communities and business organizations. The Vice President of Student & Educational Services demonstrates an energizing commitment to fostering an environment of diversity and inclusion in student, faculty and staff. The Vice President of Student & Educational Services serves as the chief presidential advisor for the development, revision and accurate implementation of student related policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
- As a member of the President’s Cabinet, coordinate the cross-functional activities of the College to ensure a thriving team structure necessary to conduct the work of the Student & Educational Services.
- Provide innovative leadership and direction in the development, implementation and evaluation of the college’s Student & Educational Services Division programs and services.
- Work with division dean and directors to develop and monitor a division budget that adequately funds Student & Educational Services programs and activities while ensuring the most effective use of the college’s financial resources.
- Ensure the development and implementation of continuous quality control measures and system improvements for all Student & Educational Services programs and activities.
- Provide exemplary and inclusive leadership in recruiting and retaining a thriving diverse and inclusive student body. Serve as a member of the President’s Cabinet in developing appropriate college policies, procedures and guidelines to meet the college’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive culture.
- Ensure full Student & Educational Services Division commitment and assistance in achieving all of the college’s mission, vision, and strategic initiatives.
- Provide exemplary and inclusive leadership in recruiting, developing, motivating and evaluating all Student & Educational Services staff.
- Develop policies related to student services and student discipline. Administer procedures for implementation of these policies as well as interpret educational laws, regulations, and procedures that impact student success.
- Administer all issues related to student rights and responsibilities and oversee student conduct matters.
- Represent Delta College in a variety of community roles to build meaningful community/college relationships.
Strategic and Operational Planning:
- Administer and guide a comprehensive Student & Educational Services division.
- Develop, execute and assess student access, retention and completion initiatives that promote a successful student commitment experience.
- Identify long-term College-wide needs and areas for potential improvement related to student success, enrollment management, recruitment, retention, diversity, inclusion, and equity.
- Identify mission, vision, goals, and key performance indicators for SES.
- Provide leadership for establishing multi-year tactical and annual operational goals designed to implement the strategic goals of the college.
- Determine appropriate organizational structure, job design, and schedule of assignments.
- Build, advocate, and direct the SES budget. Help the organization manage/control/reduce its costs while providing excellent and innovative services.
- Facilitate and plan major division construction projects in coordination with the assistance of Facilities.
- Establish and execute emergency action plans in coordination with senior management team.
- Perform all other duties necessary to accomplish the educational objectives of the college and/or as assigned by the president.
- Advocate for student success on and off campus.
- Lead, motivate, nurture, and support the SES division to sustain an environment which promotes diversity, inclusion and respect for students, faculty, and staff – recognizes initiative and excellence.
- Lead and support efforts of administrative team in execution of goals.
- Evaluate programs and services on a routine basis.
- Provide leadership for the resolution of problems and the execution of plans for day-to-day operations of assigned areas of responsibility.
- Provide leadership for completion of short and long-term projects such as developing and implementing corrective action plans for operational audits, continually reviewing departmental processes, and developing and implementing appropriate changes.
- Promote College initiatives and partnerships nationally, statewide, and locally.
- Assume responsibility for other College affairs and matters at the discretion of the president.
- Establish and maintain liaison with community groups and others important to, but outside of the College.
- Act as president in her/his absence.
- Present SES perspective on issues discussed with the President and President’s Cabinet.
- Participate in the formulation and implementation of College-wide policy and procedures in coordination with other members of the senior management team.
- Coordinate development and implementation of College-wide management processes and associated support systems, to include automated information systems management that properly interfaces and provides integrated information for decision-making.
- Supervise compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws, policies, and regulations in relation to Board and College policies, including reports as required in the areas of resource allocation and management systems.
- Foster Board relations and prepare Board reports pertaining to a variety of topics.
- Ensure students and SES employees are equipped and trained to use technology that promote student and institutional success.
- Guide College student code of conduct efforts.
- Handle difficult or sensitive matters.
Enrollment Management and Retention:
- Provide leadership and guidance for the recruitment and retention of students
- Actively engage all SES employees to strategically utilize resources to promote and manage retention to completion
- Provide professional development opportunities to educate and engage SES staff in diversity and inclusion
- Provide leadership in maintaining a student and learner-centered philosophy and focus for SES initiatives.
- Spearhead innovative student initiatives with K-12 and surrounding higher education partners.
- Develop, foster, and promote new opportunities with public and private sector entities.
- Prepare appropriate reports; analyze and evaluate enrollment and retention data; develop and analyze student enrollment and retention forecasts to be used in strategic decision making.
- Spearhead student success measures to increase student retention and completion rates.
- Ensure students have excellent pathway advising through various delivery modalities.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive student life program.
- Ensure students have access to excellent and appropriate student success workshops throughout their College experience.
- Guide the planning, organization of the College’s intercollegiate and club athletics programs and maintaining compliance with Title IX, policies, procedures, and guidelines established by appropriate regulatory bodies and the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA). Direct and ensure recruitment strategies and eligibility and other applicable compliance standards are met for all teams.
Diversity,Inclusion, and Equity:
- Spearhead a student success environment that is welcoming, accepting, and fair, and improves the retention and completion rates of a diverse student population.
- Provide vision and guidance for College efforts that support closing the achievement gap of underrepresented groups, including African American and Hispanic students. Ensure procedures and programming are established and meet all federal and state guidelines.
- Champion a broad variety of programs that improves student success.
- Support the formulation of mutually beneficial global initiatives.
- History of innovative and strategically inclusive leadership practices
- Master’s degree or equivalent knowledge and skills.
- An understanding of and commitment to the community college’s inclusive philosophy and best practices.
- Innovative and strategic methods to promote, grow and sustain student success
- Proven leadership in the administration of technology trends and applications in all areas that vitalizes successful student services programs and activities.
- Broad knowledge of all areas in student success services
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socioeconomic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Ensure students have access to necessary services to be successful.
- Persuasive oral and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills.
- A track record of personal integrity.
- Lead, welcome, value, and nurture people of all backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, as well as support and promote an environment that accepts differences.
Additional Experiences Considered
ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCES CONSIDERED:
- Doctorate in higher education with community college focus.
The committee will begin review of applications immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, with materials submitted by Monday, March 9, 2020 receiving priority consideration. All applications are confidential and references will not be contacted without the expressed authorization of the applicant.
Special Instructions to Applicants
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
Please direct inquiries and nominations to the College’s search consultant:
Angela Provart, President Pauly Group, Inc.
3901 Wood Duck Drive, Suite E Springfield, IL 62711
Please submit electronically to email@example.com the following documents as Adobe Acrobat or MS Word attachments: (1) a cover letter that addresses the Opportunity Overview; (2) a current résumé; and (3) names and contact information of five professional references.