The Board of Governors of Mountwest Community & Technical College welcomes nominations and applications for the position of President. The President functions as Chief Executive Officer of the College and reports to a 12-member Board of Governors. The new president will succeed Dr. Keith Cotroneo, who retired at the end of the Fall 2019 semester.
Founded in 1975, Mountwest Community & Technical College, one of nine public institutions of the West Virginia Community & Technical College system, is the westernmost community college of the Mountain State. Previously an extension of Marshall University, Mountwest became a separate institution in 2008 as a result of a legislative change. Four years later, in 2012, Mountwest relocated on a “mount” just off of interstate 64. This Tri-State region of West Virginia, where Ohio, Kentucky, and West Virginia join in the Ohio River Valley, is perfect placement to attract students from all three areas. The Institution is an accredited, two-year college.
MISSION, VALUES & GUIDING PRINCIPLES
The mission of Mountwest Community & Technical College is “to prepare students for careers, civic responsibility and life-long learning”. Mountwest values include quality education, a commitment to the development of the learning environment, community and continuous improvement.
Mountwest Guiding Principles are as follows:
- Promote a culture of evidence
- Emphasize personal accountability
- Contribute to a trusting environment
- Use a disciplined decision making process
STUDENTS, PROGRAMMING & CAMPUS
While the majority of the student population are West Virginians, the college serves a substantial number of “metro” students from the bordering states, as well as online students from all around the country. On average, we have an enrollment of approximately 1500 students enrolled each semester.
Students enjoy a beautiful, safe 30 acre campus in Huntington, WV. The campus is located on top of a “mount”, located approximately 5 minutes away from the city. The campus features a one-stop student center, where students can find assistance for all of their enrollment & student life needs. The campus also provides on-campus resources for students, such as a bookstore, library, and a tutoring and writing center. Further, located on the ground floor, the campus has a fully functioning café.
Mountwest offers a diverse program catalog, with over 50 majors and concentrations, including health science, information technology, business, and more. In addition to Associate in Applied Science degree offerings, Mountwest also offers Associate in Arts and Associate in Science pathways for those planning to pursue a baccalaureate degree at a partnering institution. The College also has two extension centers: a production style culinary arts center and the Maritime Academy, where students can get first-hand experience and be prepared for the workforce. Mountwest also offers several workforce and non-credit programs.
Recently, WV Legislature enacted WV Invests; a version of free community college for non-degree holding residents. Despite the current national community college enrollment trends, the future is bright for Mountwest, and the College looks forward to providing a wonderful opportunity to an individual capable of providing excellent leadership as our new President.
FACULTY & STAFF
Mountwest currently employs 59 full-time faculty members and 72 adjunct faculty. Student-faculty ratio averages around 14:1, allowing our faculty to truly connect with our students and foster mentor/mentee relationships. Additionally, Mountwest employs 57 non-faculty full-time staff, including administrators.
More information about Mountwest Community & Technical College can be found at www.mctc.edu.
The college seeks an individual with exceptional leadership and communication skills, and a substantial track record within the college environment. The President should be competitive, strategic, energetic, and have a genuine vested interest in the success of Mountwest.
The ideal candidate will have a commitment to:
- Educational leadership, academic excellence and data-driven decision making
- Enrollment management, retention & college wide assessment
- Diversity, equity and inclusion
- A strong presence, sense of involvement and connection among students, faculty, staff, and the local community, with participation in local, state and national organizations
- Excellent communication and listening skills, especially in the areas of transparency, approachability, accountability & collaboration
- Leveraging the strengths of the college and identifying areas of opportunity college-wide
- Growing and promoting all programs at Mountwest, including Distance Education
- Understanding and developing campus technology
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- A Master’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution is required; an earned doctorate is preferred
- Five – Seven (5-7) years of progressively responsible, senior-level, higher education leadership
- Higher education teaching experience preferred, but not required
- Diverse background in business leadership or higher education management
- Demonstrated ability to provide visionary and forward thinking
- Demonstrated ability to make difficult decisions in the best interest of the college
- Demonstrated knowledge on current or emerging issues in higher education
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, applicants should send a letter of interest, current resume, un-official college transcripts, and the names and contact information of 5 professional references to email@example.com. Official transcripts will be required prior to appointment. Applications must be received no later than February 13, 2020. The review of applicants will begin immediately. The Board is responsible for the final selection of the President, with approval from the Community & Technical College Council. The appointment is expected to begin in July of 2020.
For any additional questions regarding Mountwest or this position, we welcome you to contact a member of the HR office at firstname.lastname@example.org or via telephone at (304) 710-3401. Please feel free to visit www.mctc.edu for more information regarding all that Mountwest has to offer.
A State Community and Technical College of West Virginia | An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Mountwest Community & Technical College and the Community and Technical College System of West Virginia are equal opportunity employers. To that end, we endeavor to provide equal treatment in employment and provision of services to applicants, employees and those we serve without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability or veteran status. Mountwest provides a collegial, respectful and inclusive environment that values the diversity, creativity and contributions of its staff.