University Goal for Faculty:
The goal for each member of the University of the Southwest’s campus community is to consistently live the principles of the mission of the University. The USW mission is as follows:
University of the Southwest is a Christ-centered educational community dedicated to developing men and women for a lifetime of servant leadership by emphasizing individual faith, responsibility, and initiative.
Teaching at the University of the Southwest adheres to belief in God, in the Bible as the inspired Word of God, in Jesus Christ as the Son of God, and in the separation of church and state.
University of the Southwest strives for excellence in academic curriculum, campus life programming, and student activities in a supportive educational community where freedom of thought and expression is honored and the demonstration of faith in acts of service is encouraged.
At University of the Southwest, students are instructed and mentored by a faculty and staff who demonstrate Christ-centered values and maintain an environment where students can live and work cooperatively, valuing the multiple cultures from which they come; and
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
The Dean of the College of Education will develop new initiatives to enhance the University of the Southwest standard of excellence in educating and developing undergraduate/graduate students. This position will help produce and create achievement, leadership, and service in a diverse and interconnected world. The Dean will report directly to the Executive Vice President and Provost of Academic Affairs. For issues regarding academic affairs, the Dean will work with the Provost and serve on multiple committees and attend Deans Council for the University. Teaching duties include two courses each academic semester except summers.
1. Direct oversight and evaluation of the following positions within COE:
Director of Undergraduate Admissions and Student Support
Teacher Education Program Coordinator
Undergraduate & Graduate Program Coordinators
Undergraduate & Graduate Faculty
2. Manage accreditation process with the New Mexico Public Education Department
3. Completion of state and federal reporting requirements; Title II, NMPED Scorecard
4. Advising the Office of the Provost on teacher certification requirements for the State of New Mexico
5. Responsible for development and submission of COE course schedules and rotations
6. Managing graduate and undergraduate enrollment
7. Promoting diversity in recruitment and retention of faculty, staff, and students
8. Effectively managing the college's human, financial, and physical resources
9. Assist in conducting program review, and plan, develop, and implement activities in support of the Higher Learning Commission or other agency accreditation guidelines with regard to student academic achievement (assessment) and student success on learning outcomes (institutional effectiveness).
10. Use both qualitative and quantitative assessment to enhance instruction, increase student achievement, and make data-driven decisions for continuous improvement.
11. Use distance education learning platforms or demonstrate facility with learning new software interfaces.
12. Encourage and support scholarly activity among COE faculty.
13. Serve on departmental and university committees.
14. Participate in professional development opportunities.
15. Participate in and develop efforts to recruit and retain students.
16. Maintain a high level of professional ethics.
17. Ensure ADA compliance within COE
Education, Experience and Skills Required:
The successful applicant will have an earned doctorate in education or a closely related discipline and a record of administrative experience
Experience working with and advocating for diverse and underrepresented student populations and a desire to serve in rural areas
Participation in professional organizations
Record of commitment to community engagement activities
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with strong leadership capabilities, including a demonstrated commitment to integrity and fairness
Knowledge of current pedagogy and significant skill in teaching in an online environment