The Centene Center for Health Transformation is a partnership between Washington University researchers and Centene Corporation, a large managed care organization. A key goal of the Center is to develop and test innovative programs and initiatives that impact the health and well-being of individuals and communities, and to generate high-quality research that can inform health policy and the enhanced delivery of managed care.
In conjunction with the Director, the Associate Director of Research will facilitate and guide the center’s research portfolio and contribute to strategic planning. In collaboration with the Leadership team, this position will jointly exercise responsibility for the development and implementation of the Center’s research and evaluation strategy and project plans. The Associate Director will provide overall programmatic and operational leadership for the Center.
The idea candidate will have expertise in healthcare systems and healthcare delivery to advance the Center’s research agenda focused on using behavioral economics to develop and test provider interventions to improve health outcomes. The Associate Director of Research is responsible for recommending evidenced-based practices and developing innovative original research that can be tested and applied in a real world settings.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Contribute to and facilitate the development, monitoring, and implementation of Center's research priorities and plans. This will include jointly exercising responsibility with the Leadership Team in identifying and implementing new research and evaluation projects and partnerships, ensuring program teams remain aligned with overall goals and strategic plan of the Center, and aligning the resources of the organization to the areas of most beneficial impact.
- Identify potential funding and publication opportunities, and lead efforts to grow the Center’s research portfolio and impact. Assess managed care claims data to generate new research questions and projects, and oversee the university side of claims data transfer processes Lead the preparation of manuscripts for submission to peer-reviewed journals, including data collection and analysis, drafting and editing manuscript text, managing references, and ensuring that manuscripts conform to journal style guidelines. Lead high-level literature searches and identification of evidence-based best practices to inform policy and programmatic recommendations. Provide leadership and oversight of Center Operations related to research and data needs.
- Provide oversight and leadership around management of Center projects to ensure that research work is well planned and successfully executed on-time and within scope and budget. This will include offering support to Center colleagues to ensure effective delivery on all project commitments, and where necessary identifying the required additional resources, expertise, and processes. Candidate will ensure sharing of best practices and project management resources. Finally, candidate will contribute to building, implementing, and overseeing internal systems for conducting ongoing research projects.
- Individual will work closely with the Brown School research and business offices to monitor current project budgets, develop research and evaluation proposal budgets, keep track of current project-related spending, and provide input on the development of project-related budgets, as necessary.
- Manage Center research staff and students. Ensure a smooth workflow across different Center priorities.
- Master’s degree in public health, social work, social sciences, public policy, or similar degree and three years related experience
- Demonstrated capability in conducting rigorous health research
- Mastery of computer word processing software, and basic understanding of other computer programs and competence in learning new software
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of healthcare research, policy, and data
- PhD in public health, social work, social sciences, public policy, or similar degree and five years related experience
- Previous experience in a high-performing office environment
- Knowledge of and experience working within healthcare systems
- Four years or more of project management experience
- Deep knowledge of statistical analysis methods and experience with various software packages e.g. SPSS, STATA, SAS, etc.
- Experience working with research projects that utilize managed care claims data
- Understanding of care delivery barriers and opportunities for innovation in health systems
- Ability to analyze and incorporate claims data into all stages of the Center’s research process
- Application of behavioral economics to health care system and service design and processes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Analytical skills, including advanced statistical modeling skills
- Ability to design, develop, and implement new research agendas
- Ability to draft and publish academic manuscripts in high-impact journals
- Great attention to detail
- Ability to work independently
- Respond to quick deadlines
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work well under pressure
- Self-starter and strongly motivated
- Ability to optimize content presentation
- Must possess initiative, discretion and mature judgment
- Ability to be an excellent team player
The hiring range for this position is $65,559 - $85,293 annually.
- Retirement Savings Plan
- 22 vacation days
- 10 Paid Holidays
- Sick Time
- Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
- Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
- Free Life Insurance
- Health, Dental, Vision
- Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Flex Spending Plan
- Other Benefits
- Human Resources website (hr.wustl.edu)
- EOE Statement
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.