As a Senior Research Engineer in the Planning and Control Technologies (PCT) directorate, you will apply your knowledge from the fields of Mathematics, Operations Research, Control, or Computer Science to design and develop innovative concepts, algorithms, models, and architectures for state-of-the-art Mission Planning, Autonomy, and Control Technology (MPACT) systems. These MPACT systems provide mission level control of autonomous air, land, sea, and space vehicles and the sensors, weapons, and communications payloads they carry. Vehicles operate either independently, in teams, or as part of large swarms with human supervision ranging from tight control to full independence.
- Apply existing algorithms, principles, and concepts to the development of MPACT systems
- Contribute to the development of new algorithms, principles, and concepts
- Work independently under general direction toward agreed to goals and objectives
- Prototype and test algorithms and solutions
- Work with software engineers to transition prototypes to robust applications
- May lead small research efforts (1 – 3 person) overseeing activities of other personnel
- Interact directly with current and potential customers to understand their unique problems and guide research and development efforts to meet their needs
- Work with senior staff to support business development through identification of business opportunities, idea generation, writing technical sections of proposals, and customer interactions
The position may require occasional travel. This position offers significant opportunities for career growth in the leadership and development of scientific and mathematical software applications and algorithms.
Planning and Control Technologies (PCT) is a directorate within the BAE Systems Technology Solutions Fusion, Battle Management, and Computing technology group (TS FBC). PCT is a high growth, entrepreneurial organization that develops state-of the-art Mission Planning, Autonomy, and Control Technology components and systems for many customers in the defense industry. Today’s warfighters and intelligence analysts are overwhelmed with data and tasks from a variety of manned and unmanned vehicle systems. PCT helps the warfighter become more effective and efficient in managing networks of heterogeneous vehicles and payloads (e.g., multi-INT surveillance, weapons, non-traditional ISR), by developing automation preforming tasks ranging from offloading manual asset control to enabling platforms to operate autonomously while abiding by physical and operational constraints.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Bachelor's Degree and 5 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education:
- Master's Degree and 3 years work experience or equivalent experience
- Experience performing research and development
- Experience prototyping and testing algorithms with Matlab, Python, R, C++, Java, or other languages
- Current US Citizenship
Preferred Skills and Education:
- PhD in Mathematics, Operations Research, Control, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Computer Science
- Experience with meta-heuristics such as Tabu Search, Simulated Annealing, Genetic Algorithms, GRASP, etc
- Experience in Network Optimization, Mixed-Integer Linear Programming, Game Theory, Machine Learning
- DoD familiarity with air, land, sea, and space domains to include Battle Management technologies, unmanned systems, and military simulations
- Active defense security clearance
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems:
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression