Position Summary Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Description Summary
The dean of the College of Engineering (COE) provides leadership in shaping the vision for the future role of the COE within the University, the state of Michigan, higher education, and society at large. The dean is the chief academic and administrative officer in the COE. The dean reports directly to the provost and works with other administrators (vice presidents, deans, directors and department chairs) as well as faculty, staff, and students to promote excellence in research, teaching, and service. The dean is responsible for fostering successful collaborations among personnel within COE, other areas of the university and external constituencies.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Lead the COE in developing and implementing research and education strategies in support of the goals of the University strategic plan.
2. Actively engage in fundraising and other advancement activities in order to obtain resources that support the continual growth and improvement of students, faculty, staff, programs, and infrastructure of the College and the University.
3. Enhance and develop relationships with key external constituents, including alumni, government, industry, and foundations to support departments, the College, and the University.
4. Lead planning, decision-making, and resource allocation activities within the COE; provide oversight for decisions made at the departmental level.
5. Identify and implement new initiatives within the COE and/or in partnership with other academic units in order to promote growth in alignment with emerging, developing, and/or priority areas.
6. Supervise COE associate dean(s), COE department chairs, and COE office staff.
7. Make recommendations to the provost and the president regarding hiring, tenure, and promotion for tenured and tenure-track faculty, and appointments and renewals of non-tenure-track faculty and academic administrators within the COE.
8. Comply with and provide leadership for initiatives associated with accreditation of departments and programs within the COE and the University.
9. Ensure the COE maintains a safe, diverse, inclusive, welcoming, and equitable learning and work environment for all students, faculty, and staff.
Required Education (minimum requirements)
● Earned PhD or equivalent degree in engineering or a closely related discipline.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
● Administrative experience at or above a level equivalent to a department chair or head leading in an academic institution or in a research-oriented organization.
● Experience in managing and leading PhD-level (or equivalent) engineers and/or scientists.
● Experience in promoting a culture of safety as a professional value and an essential component of day-to-day activities.
● Experience in developing and/or maintaining a safe, diverse, inclusive, welcoming, and equitable environment.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
● Experience in teaching at the college level.
● Record of independent and collaborative scholarship consistent with that expected for a Professor in the COE.
● Experience in fostering interdisciplinary research and/or entrepreneurial activities.
● Experience in generating resources through coordinated fundraising efforts.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
● Ability to articulate a clear vision for the future of engineering research, education, and fundraising at Michigan Tech.
● Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, oral/written communication, and presentation skills.
● Proven leadership ability and collaborative management skills.
● Demonstrated fiscal responsibility and the ability to manage budgets.
● Demonstrated success in building partnerships among diverse stakeholder groups.
● Experience with and commitment to shared governance.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 3 required training; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
• Employee Safety Overview
• Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
• Annual Data Security Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Required Departmental Training:
• Safety training modules and training specific to this position.
• This position will be required to complete all safety training modules that are assigned to any employee they supervise.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number 17174
Posting Type Internal & External Posting
Internal Posting Date 05/31/2017
External Posting Date 05/31/2017
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
The intended start date for the Dean of the College of Engineering will be July 2018.