The Infectious Disease Research Institute (IDRI) is a Seattle-based non-profit research organization committed to developing products to prevent, detect and treat infectious diseases. IDRI translates basic research to develop vaccines, diagnostics and drugs for applications in global health. We focus on antigen discovery and development, adjuvant formulation and delivery, therapeutic molecule discovery and development, and biomarker discovery for diagnostics. IDRI’s leadership in the global health community extends to international alliances and partnerships with pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, universities, research institutes, governments, and public health organizations.
The TB Discovery Group is currently seeking a Synthetic Organic/Medicinal Chemist at the Scientist I/II level. The position is available within the tuberculosis drug discovery group. The successful candidate will work in a multi-disciplinary research environment, interacting with chemists, biochemists and microbiologists on multiple projects. The candidate will be involved at all stages of drug discovery in evaluating and translating screening “hits” into lead compounds for development into pre-clinical TB drug candidates. Major research projects will involve the design, synthesis, purification and characterization of small molecules for TB drug discovery. The candidate will be expected to attract external funding for drug discovery efforts within the group on multiple pathogens, including M. tuberculosis and non-tubercular mycobacteria, as well as other pathogens.
- Conduct research into the design, synthesis, purification and characterization of small molecules as candidate anti-tubercular agents
- Coordinate and direct drug discovery projects with internal and external partners
- Prepare and present papers, reports, and presentations of current research work
- Liaising with external collaborators
- Supervise research assistant(s) and/or associate(s).
- Developing a program of research with external funding on multiple pathogens
- Publication of manuscripts
- Obtaining external funding via grant mechanisms
- Contribute freely to the team research environment in a manner conducive to the success of the research project as a whole
- Maintain the highest standards of laboratory practice in line with IDRI policy
- PhD in organic and/or medicinal chemistry
- Research experience in laboratory with multi-step organic synthesis and/or medicinal chemistry
- A good knowledge of current research in the field
- Laboratory bench skills
- Ability to work with hazardous chemicals
- Ability to organize and prioritize own work
- Ability to write papers
- Ability to attract external funding
- Evidence of good team working
- Good communication skills
- Self-motivated and hardworking
- Computer literacy, including word processing, Excel and literature searches
- General health appropriate to the duties of the post
- Willingness to work flexible hours as project demands
IDRI offers a comprehensive compensation plan which includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, AD&D and EAP. In addition, IDRI offers Flexible Spending Accounts, a matching ROTH 401K Retirement Plan and Commuter benefits.
This summary describes a portion of the essential functions/responsibilities of this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all job duties. Management reserves the right to modify the duties of this position as necessary.
Infectious Disease Research Institute (IDRI) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
IDRI is an E-Verify Employer